What is functional fitness training?
Functional fitness training has its roots in physical therapy. Today may of the exercises are incorporated in rehabilitation programs with the goal of restoring motion and function by targeting groups of muscles that are routinely used in everyday activities. Functional fitness emphasizes abdominal and core stability often combining exercises targeting both the upper and lower body to reduce pain and prevent injury.
We rarely think about the muscles we use to get out of chair, carry a load of groceries or pick up a small child, until we hear a pop, or feel an ache or a strain. If you believe in exercise and fitness then it just makes sense that you create a program based on your every day activities, no matter how small or intense they may be.
Most of us are never going to be an elite athlete, but that doesnâ€™t mean we canâ€™t function at the highest possible level when participating in recreational sports, completing daily tasks such as house cleaning or grocery shopping, or just taking a walk around the block. At Progressive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, our personal trainer customizes programs based on your individual abilities and goals.
WhoÂ can benefit from a functional fitness program?
- Patients Completing a Rehab Program
- Anyone Suffering from Back or Joint Pain
- Women Going Through Pregnancy and After Delivery Looking to Regain their Shape
- Weekend Warriors
- Elderly People Concerned about Falling or Wanting to Increase Strength
- People Looking to Kick Start or Step Up an Exercise or Weight Loss Program
- Athletes Looking to Get to the Next Level
- Patients Who Will be Undergoing Orthopedic or Back Surgery